It's been a long time since I posted. What happened was, I took some pictures to post and when I was about to upload them, my computer died! Everything is sorted now and I've made a fair amount of progress with my Baltimore Album.
Here is the finished Fleur de Lys block, I worked hard on the points, both inner and outer and I'm very pleased with them, but now I look at the completed block I realise I didn't pay enough attention to some of the curves. At some point I can go back and add some extra stitches to smooth them out.
Part way through the block, I switched to silk thread, with pleasing results, all future work will be with silk thread!
This is the assymetric basket with a possible arrangement of flowers, I think to balance it the rose needs to be on the other side, though it may be too big for the arrangement. I've put this block aside and am still musing over exactly what I'll do with it.
I found a copy of a museum catalogue in Half Price Books, it's fairly old, so not all the pictures are in colour, but with 20 odd quilts it gives me a good idea of the range of blocks and I'm starting to pick out which blocks reoccur identically and which reoccur only in basic shape. Even within the very narrow range that historians designate Baltimore Albums there is quite a wide range, with some quilts consisting only of very intricate blocks and others being a mix of intricate and very simple. A couple of the very early ones have blocks with a star or hexagon made of smaller hexagons, presumably by English Paper Piecing, I've been working on a much more complex block so I've temporarily put that aside to work on one of these.